Tuesday, September 9, 2008

We Got Rice

Using the money from Samaritan's purse, the truck went out to get the food about 8:30 AM and got back around 2:30 PM. Had I known they were going to have it as full as they did, I would have checked it out a little more (like maxing out the tire pressure to 120 psi). They had 400 bags of rice at 55 lbs a piece. That's 22,000 lbs in the stakebed truck (11 tons)!! I didn't look at what the load limit was on that vehicle, but I KNOW that it was way over on this trip up the mountain. The springs were near bottomed out and the helper springs were doing all they could. They are normally rounded - these were flat with the load.


The tires themselves say that they are good for a load of 6,945 lbs with a dual axle and we had more than 3 times that amount.


We unloaded the truck rather quickly and will be going back for the beans, oil, etc... tomorrow. Tina was packing the rice with the kids and will do more tomorrow (I'll get pictures tomorrow).


We caught yet another rat today.


We introduced this rat to the snake we have in the only zoo in Haiti.



Boring car stuff...

I spent the day building a holder for a five gallon gas container on the back of the Toyota shortbox. I got to practice my welding (which I really enjoy). I'll get a final before and after picture tomorrow afternoon.

No comments: