Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Much Better Day

We started the day moving bags of food around. We hauled it all using the four-wheeler (it sure is nice having that thing working - without it we would have much more walking and carrying). We hauled about 300 of the family sacks with each weighing about 40 pounds. When we broke for lunch and to end our work for the day at 12:30, I was so tired that I almost could move - I know that I wouldn't be able to lift another bag.

After lunch I tried to take a little snooze, but being so dirty it's hard to lay down anywhere. Even though I took my dirty clothes off my arms and head are sweaty and dirty. While I was resting, the person who I was told had my gloves came and dropped them off (thank you for your prayers). Kyrk mentioned to one of the older Haitian guys (Antoinne) who sort of manages a number of areas that I (Mr. Ken) was missing my gloves. He then went to talk to the two older boys who live on campus with one of the workers (the kids are maybe 8 and 11 or so). They told him the same story that they told me. Antoinne went and talked to a number of guys about what had happened and so I ended up getting them back from the guy who found them. I can't say that he stole them because I did drop them - the basic mentality here is that if it isn't locked up, it's fair game. But many people know that they were mine because I wore them all day the day I lost them. Regardless...thank you for your prayers! Thank you, Colleen, for offering to buy me a new pair!

This evening we ate with the three Samaritan's Purse gentlemen (sorry Dave, no Franklin to take a picture of). We had very good conversation and, since they will be here for a few week, we will be looking forward to learning more about them. Tina made an awesome chicken noodle soup and fresh bread (they really liked the bread). She had warm cookies waiting in the oven when we were finished. They melted in our mouths. She is a great cook!

Boring car stuff...

After I rested, I went back out thinking that I was just going to clean up a few things. I ended up working on the four-wheeler a quite a bit (until right before I had to turn the generator off). I changed the front tires, adjusted the rear brakes, and then Gerbin (who is from the Netherlands - I checked) and I worked on the electrical system. He did most of the work (when there is another boss around, I usually let them be boss - if there is no boss around, I'll take the role...he was a boss, so I let him go). We got the starter working using the starting button (instead of hotwiring it), got the charging system working, and got the four-wheel drive working. We had to swap out the neutral switch, too, to get the starter to work (it will only start when the tranny is in neutral). I found an ignition and key switch on eBay for it (since someone stole the key) and ordered it - I asked them to ship it in a padded envelope so it gets here faster, but we'll see what happens. Tomorrow...Sunday - the Sabbath...a welcomed day of rest and family time!

2 comments:

kari mia way said...

I've heard and experienced that several times. My son learned that if you leave your ipod sitting out (at the beach house) it will disappear.

God bless Antoinne! He's a faithful little man!

Ken Schlorf said...

We have lost a couple things by leaving them on our porch (most of them because they were too dirty or stinky to have inside). That's life here! Sorry to hear about the ipod - I have a feeling that Sorel would have returned it if he found it.

Antoinne is a great guy! I wish I could understand his sermons/devotionals every morning. They hold it right outside the mechanic's shop. Soon enough I will understand. I am already doing pretty good understanding when someone asks or tells me something...so I am getting there!

Thanks for your comments Kari!