Thursday, June 18, 2009

Announcement

Tuesday night we made an announcement to the director of the mission. This announcement has been a heavy weight on our shoulders for a few months. It wasn't until about a week ago that I started realizing the direction that I will take my family.

I got together with Pastor Rob to tell him that after the adoption is complete we will be moving back to the States. The reason for this is primarily because we want to focus on our Biblical priorities of God first, spouse second, and family/children third. And the season that God has given us right now is a season of "family" with our kids - including the adoption of Lou. Whatever vocation we have (in our case it is missionary work) comes fourth. The amount of time and mental energy that is required on the mission field does not allow for quantity of time with family (my experience has shown that you can only get enough quality time with quantity time).

The added necessary effort that Lou will require because of his Down syndrome will take more time. Being in Haiti complicates things greatly. Other people may be able to handle all of these things, but I have made the decision to err on the side of having more time and energy available for family than not enough - I don't want to wait until it's too late. When I die and God asks me what I have done with what he has made me responsible for, I want to be able to answer that I have put almost everything into my top priorities - at least have them managed well and prioritized.

I always have some sort of disclosure because I am not perfect in my decision making. In this case, I am making plans to go to the State and will willingly allow God to direct my steps.

"The heart of man plans his way, but the Lord establishes his steps." Proverbs 16:9

If God doesn't want us to go, he'll do what he knows is best and I trust in that. I pray that whatever direction God points us in, that we willingly accept his steps.

We have no place to go back to in Minnesota, so we'll be looking to buy a place (we have three offers of places to stay if we need them - and we'll most likely take one of them up on their offer). I have no job to go back to, so I've been looking for something that fits my skills. If anyone has any leads for me, drop me a line.

The adoption process could take another 2-4 months (if the Lord wants us here longer...it will be longer and so be it). When we know we are close, we'll schedule flights and make our way back.

We will be leaving significant parts of ourselves here in Haiti at the Baptist Haiti Mission. It will not be easy on the day we leave.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your decision. It's always good to have that weight lifted and be able to point in the right direction and see where it leads. Good luck on all this move requires. Is Minnesota "Home"? (meaning you have family there and that's why you want to move back?) What are your qualifications? (teacher? mechanic? preacher? counselor?) Just wondering what direction you think you might want to go as far as jobs go? Might help those who are going to be on the lookout for you. Of course, if all those in MN know your qualifications, then you're set.

Here's to closure on your adoption soon. I know it's been rough.

Jan

Ken Schlorf said...

Thank you Jan! I pray it's the right decision. Minnesota is "Home" and we do have most of our family there. I am looking for something primarily in the financial industry as I have my FINRA Series 7, 24, and 66 licenses. If the right opportunity came up, I would consider some type of mechanic work.

Thanks for your encouragement, Jan, I sincerely appreciate it!

T and T Livesay said...

Dear Ken and Tina -

We so respect your decision and we "get you" too! Unless you're living here and doing this, there is no way you can understand how hard it is to have boundaries and time for family ... Haiti sucks the very life out of you at times. We support you. Praying the adoption finishes and you have the option to all return home together.

Tara and Troy

dorrfamily said...

Ken and Tina,
We know that you have put a lot of thought into this decision and have listened to your heart and what God wants you to do. We hope for the rest of the adoption process to be over soon. We also can't wait to have you back home here in MN. We would be packed but please know your all more than welcome to hang out here too. I will keep my eye out for a job for you. Do you want me to check at the Hartford or Woodbury Financial?
Love and peace to the family.
Kelly, Shannon and girls.

Ken Schlorf said...

T &T,

Thank you for your comments (and Troy - Thank you for your encouraging phone call!). We appreciate your prayer and are praying for you guys and adoption as well.

Shannon & Kelly,

We did put a lot of thought into this decision. We are looking forward to being back and getting together with friends like you and our family. I still have ole work buddies at Woodbury that are helping me look there - but I sincerely thank you for your offer! (We like reading your blog, too.)

Anonymous said...

Ken

Its been some time since we last talked...It was at a Bakers Square in West St.Paul.....These are not easy decision to make and it seems you have thought this through very well. Keep the faith, be strong and know that all the work you and your family have done has not gone in vain. You and your family have done a great work and you will be blessed for it.

Ken Schlorf said...

Steve, thank you for your encouragement - we appreciate it!