Thursday, September 18, 2008

Busy, Busy

Today, we packed 300 family sacks and brought them to Port-au-Prince for delivery via boat to (I think) four different places (I didn't go with to make the delivery). I was the end of the line and packed the truck again. All of this food was purchased from Samaritan's Purse's money and they brought stickers for the sacks. Here is a shot after just a few sacks in the truck:


and here is a shot with the full 300 sacks:



We have a few more sacks of food to put together (just under 200) and then that will be it. The rest will be sent as whole sacks of food to distributed through the pastors of our churches.

Kids...

Carter and Kayla are doing well in school. Lou continues to babble a lot, but still not much effort in the verbal communication department. The potty training amounts to Tina figuring out when #2 is coming and setting him on the potty so it's one less #2 diaper to change. We'll get there (easy for me to say since I am not changing it - although I'd gladly change diapers for a month instead of one clutch...). Tina is doing pretty good. I would like to see her have a little more free time, but that isn't going to happen until we get done with the food.

Tonight we had Greg over for dinner. Greg is a friend of Cullie's (Cullie is a former mechanic of the Baptist Haiti Mission). We had good conversation and fellowship. Tina made a great dinner (once again) and had warm cookies waiting for us for dessert.

Boring car stuff...

There are a couple of bats that live near the mechanic's shop. This is the best I could do for a picture:


Dr. Bernard mentioned to me Tuesday that his daughter's car is not working well. He thinks it's the clutch. He wanted to know if I could take the parts out so he could bring them in that day or the next. I am not so sure that he understands that changing the clutch is a large job. Anyway, I started on it today and hope to get to the clutch tomorrow. It's a Hyundai and I don't like the way it's made so far for removing the clutch, but no one asked me. The oil filter looks like it has been on there since the beginning and there is no air filter. The car has 160 or 170 THOUSAND miles on in. I feel like it's not work fixing, but it's not mine to say that. I am just doing the work. I broke my 3/8 extension on it too (not a Craftsman). :-( My Mechanix gloves saved my knuckles on that one!

The Canter has two car-sized batteries. Yesterday one of them blew up. It blew a softball size hole in the middle of the top of the battery. The battery is outside the truck and under the bed so it didn't do any damage to the vehicle. They had to buy another while on the road. They also said that it was wobbling real bad. I looked over at it quickly and saw a large rock in between the driver's side rear dual tires. It took a lot of prying with a pry bar to remove it. Had that come out while moving it would have done a lot of damage to something or someone.

No comments: