Sunday, August 31, 2008

Working Unwillingly

We have been trying to create the routine of cleaning our place on Saturdays. Yesterday started out OK, but I had a Haitian driver for the Mission knock on the door about 8AM and ask about some car parts. So I had to go down to the shop and help him out. I really didn't want to do any car work at all yesterday. When I got down there I helped not only the guy that asked, but others came to ask me things as well. Kyrk mentioned that they wanted to take the Canter out on Monday and I had the drive shaft apart to work on the parking brake.

I gave in and quit working on the house and went to the shop. I worked on the Canter for most of the morning and then worked on it in the afternoon as well. After a big struggle with various things on that truck, I ended up not putting the brake parts on and only hooking up the drive shaft. The parking brake cable is frozen stuck, so it wouldn't matter if the parts were there. I had thought that it had enough movement in the cable but after hooking everything up, there wasn't. So now we have to order a new cable if we want the parking brake to work.

I got back to the house around 3PM and we spent a little family time for the rest of the evening. We watched an episode of Little House on the Prairie (on my laptop borrowing the DVD). We ate some cookies and cream ice cream, too (the last time I went to the grocery store, I bought it as a family treat to have once a week at most - for a half gallon it cost $10 USD - we have 2/3 of the container left).

I woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. Kayla was sleeping in the living room, so I spent a bit of time reading in the quiet of the morning.

We'll be spending more family time today after going to church at 6:30AM this morning. We still struggle with going to church when we don't know what they are saying (yet) and we missionaries meet as a group on Sunday nights (basically a whole church service). The concept of going and participating sounds good and all, yet to do it week after week and to give tithes when you cannot understand if what is said is truly biblical and correct theologically is proving challenging to us. But, we'll go until we come to a definite conclusion on this.

No comments: