Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trip to the Northwest

What a trip! I thank the Lord for keeping us safe as we travelled! I am having a hard time determining where to start and what to say, so I'll just start at the beginning.

We left at 5:45 AM on Wednesday and drove about 2.5 hours to St. Marc where we had a little trouble. On the way, we picked up a 50cc Honda Wave motorcycle that we were delivering to someone on the way. We put it in the back of the intercooled turbo 4 cylinder Ford Ranger. The Haitian police had a check point and we got stopped. They wanted to check our papers for the cycle which we didn't have - the owner had them. After waiting for 15 minutes, it dawned on me (I feel stupid it took me so long) that I should pray about it. I prayed that the policeman would understand that it was being delivered for a Mission and that he would simply let us go. Immediately after I got done praying, the back door opened and one of the two Haitians travelling with us got it. He said that he told the policeman that we were delivering the cycle for a mission and that then he let us go. God is good! (It was only God that kept that thing in the back - those roads were so rough!)


We drove though some amazing countryside and on some incredible "roads" (as always, you can click on the image to enlarge):





Check out the size of this fishing net - it's not even in the frame of the photo:





The water here was about 2-2.5 feet deep.


We stayed at a missionaries guest house which was real close to their house and was where we ate a great dinner. This was my bed:


This was one of the churches we stopped to look at. It was very nice and served a lot of people. We ended up looking at about 3-5 of the schools and churches in the area and others were pointed out to me as we drove by them. Some of them needed extra things done and some changes (this was the primary purpose of our trip - to check out the buildings and the construction - it is definitely necessary work).


On our way back home this is what the GPS said after 3.5 hours in the truck:


It said that we went 55.4 miles in 3 hours and 23 minutes, averaging 13.8 MPH. I learned real quick to keep my elbows and knees away from the arm rests and doors, so they didn't get bruised. It was a good workout for our neck muscles! It was about 130 miles one way and it took us a bit over 7 hours to do it.

I learned many things on the way there as we talked. I got to know Kyrk whom we had only met a week ago - he is a good guy. I learned more about the Mission and where things were and about Haiti itself. It was an excellent trip and I continue to pray the work that is being done will be used to bring more people into a relationship with Christ.



There are more things that I would like to say, but this is about all the time that I have this morning. This whole experience of being here is simply beyond words and pictures. My hope is to be able to simply present a glimpse of what life is like in Haiti and what great work the Mission is doing for the people.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Hello! My husband and I are missionaries in Chile and preparing to travel to Haiti on August 19 to meet two little boys we are in the process of adopting. Another adoptive mom directed me to your blog this evening, and I wanted to write and ask if your family and/or church is in PAP? We'll be at the Visa Lodge for one week (our I-600 appointment is the 20th) and were considering the possibility of visiting a local church, depending on how our babies/bonding goes. GOD bless!

Stephanie Garcia
haiti2home@live.com

http://garcias2chile.blogspot.com
http://iansadoption.blogspot.com