Thursday, August 21, 2008

He Bought Me Corn

Thinking about money kept me up a bit last night and then consumed my thoughts again this morning. I want to clarify that I am not trying to condemn anyone or anything that anyone is doing - I am simply stating what is going through my head from my experiences in my life.

It's so hard to think about the difference in the way we used to live and the way we are living now. The things that we focus on and the things that we desire are so different. I have mentioned this before - that being here really makes me rely more on God and less on myself, other people, or other things.

Anyway - so many thoughts, so little ability to put it on the web.

Today I went with three other Mission workers to deliver food to one of our schools. We got about .5 miles from the Mission and the driver asked if I wanted to drive. Of course I said yes. We drove for about 1.5 hours averaging about 10 mph (guesstimate). We saw some amazing scenery, got the truck stuck, and had a flat tire on the way home - it was a great trip. I felt good to deliver food to the school because where we went, it appeared very poor. We delivered 6-7 bags of rice and a case of fish from Japan. The school is on the right and the church is on the left...


We drove to a spot where we couldn't drive any further (and barely made it to where we got - the truck was sliding at one point and I couldn't stop it). Then 2 of the 3 guys went with me down the mountain to talk to the principal of the school. It was an amazing hike down and my legs got sore as we went down (I can't imagine how the people who will carry the 110 lbs bags of rice will feel after the 20 minute hike down).

We stopped at 2-3 homes along the way and one of the guys who went with (a translator) brought a teddy bear with different colors to do a little teaching along the way. He talked with the children a little bit and then explained a little bit about Jesus using the bear and the different colors. The children listened so intently. He did a great job! After he told his story, he prayed for the children and we said good-bye.




It was so interesting to see how these people live and what they had. It looked like they had one set of clothes and they wore them for a week. Some children didn't have pants and some children didn't have shoes. Some homes had roofs that looked like they could keep the water out. This was up in the mountain and their plots of land to grow food were really steep. It's amazing that they could work their field.



On the way back, the guy who started driving bought some corn and he gave it to me to split with a specific missionary here. This again, brings up the money thing that has been hitting me so hard lately. He doesn't make much money and he just spent money to buy me corn. HE bought ME corn.


I am thankful for...

• A concrete floor (as opposed to dirt)
• A roof that doesn't leak
• Food
• Running water
• Electricity (and the internet)

Boring car stuff...

Changing the oil and filters solved the problem with the generator. The oil pressure when I turned it off was 60 psi instead of 120 psi.

This is the side-view mirror on the Ford Ranger. I could be wrong, but I think that it says "Objects in mirror are not American."

No comments: