Thursday, August 14, 2008

Canter - A Revelation

Today will be day four of working on the Canter and I finally realized something - and it's not how to fix the truck's brakes.

What I realized is that God works in EVERYTHING whether I (we) see it or not. Through my constant struggles with the Canter's brakes, numerous Haitian men have been watching me. Some of the Haitians are welders, some of them are drivers, some of them are landscapers and some of them are carpenters or masons. They work for the Mission (some have even come to visit me that do not work for the Mission). Not all of the workers at the Mission are Christian - I do not know how many are. They see that I have been working on the Canter and that I am always trying something to solve the problem. I am never sitting and staring at the vehicle. I am diligently working on trying to resolve the issue. I am not getting upset (outwardly at least).

I had two guys come up to me and tell me, in as much English as they know, that I am a hard worker. They see that I am there at 7:30 or before and that I am there until 4:30 or later. I am beginning now to see the ministry opportunity that the Lord has laid before me.

Through my efforts in working on the vehicles, I can be an example of hard, diligent work (as often as I can, thanks to God). I can be an example of perseverance and patience. And in all that I do, I can point to the Lord as the reason for the way that I work and for the reason I am here.

My language skills are increasing and I am learning new words every day. I have not been studying books, but rather I am in the shop with the drivers and others who stop by to see what is going on. I talk with them about what I am doing and ask what the words are for various things and usually have many opportunities to use the new words in the following days.

One of the few young Haitian boys who lives on the Mission (because their parent does) was hanging out with me at the shop yesterday. He was teaching me creole and I was having him use the big air tools because he wanted to help (he could hardly lift the air gun). I had to bury my opinion of him because he is sometimes a crazy kid that causes trouble. The more I let him help me out, the more he may become less crazy. He may even become a mechanic some day.

All of these thoughts thrown out on this blog to say that I am beginning to see the fruit of my labor thus far. I am seeing that others are watching me and that I should be a good example. I am seeing that there are people here that may want to become involved in mechanic work. Whatever the Lord is pleased to have me do is what I want to do and I will be doing it willingly (or trying to do it willingly). I want to give Him as much credit as possible. God is why I am here. God is why I became a mechanic at a mission working on concrete from being a product manager for a broker/dealer who sits at a desk all day long. God is the reason for everything that I am. To God I am thankful!

No comments: