Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Routine

Not much happened yesterday. Just a bunch of:

Boring car stuff...

I was busy doing fairly routine maintenance yesterday. I changed airfilters, oil, and oil filters. I spent a bit a time in the afternoon with the driver/mechanic and another guy learning creole words (I hope to be able to remember some of them). Today is going to be a bit busier, at least in the morning. I will be working on a few vehicles to get them working before they take them out. One of the trucks front end fell apart yesterday and had to temporarily swap a bolt from the other side to limp home. It is a Toyota Landcruiser pickup (with a metal cage over the bed) and is in rough shape. Today is the first day that they will leave it here for me to look at. They take it out quite a bit, so I don't get to see it much.

I have to look at the Canter master brake cylinder because that still isn't fixed. The ball joints on the tie rods also need to be replaced on it. They have some wacky modification that helps it last a bit longer, but with the modification when it breaks, it will break completely and they just better hope they aren't going fast down a mountain with a heavy load because they will lose steering control.

I am starting to feel a greater sense of responsibility for the care and condition of the vehicles. I don't want anything to happen to anyone using the vehicles that I maintain. Some things are out of my control, but I am responsible for what is done, checked, and fixed.

No comments: