Sunday, March 15, 2009

Wings of Hope, Wisman

Troy and Tara Livesay called a few days ago and wanted to know what we knew about Wings of Hope which is a home for disabled children. We talked and I mentioned that we would like to go there too to visit. Wings of Hope is right next to our Mission.

They had various kids in all stages of disabilities. Some could walk and talk OK and others were older, completely bedridden, and wore diapers. We all interacted with them as much and best as we could. Kayla and Carter spent some time pushing them in wheelchairs which the children really enjoyed.



This guy is somewhere in his 20s and is autistic. He loves to show people around (as I found out). He was holding my hand (what a grip!) and pulling me all sorts of places for over a half hour - it was a behind the scenes tour. We went to the roof and all around. He didn't talk, so that was unfortunate, but he did understand Creole.


The people that manage/run this place are incredible people. Those are tough circumstances to live and work in on a daily basis and the Lord is giving them the strength to persevere. I have never appreciated what I have more than I have today. From feet to hands, from eyes to mouth - I pray that I will always thank the Lord for the health that I have (and my whole family has) for it may not be in His will for us to have it through the rest of the day.

Wisman


A few weeks ago Wisman, who is not 100% mentally, wanted a cage built for his rabbits at his house. The dogs have been getting to some of them. It was sort of a little joke around here that he had this request, but it was decided that a cage would be made for him. They made it better than he asked for and he was really pleased and looked proud as he walked away with it. He was taking it up the hill so that someone (Ti John) could take it to his house for him. I felt pretty happy for him that he finally got a place for his rabbits - it was a "feel good" story.

No comments: