Sunday, March 8, 2009

Friend's Video, Brutus, Pictures, Cake, BCS

Friend's Video

On Friday, we got a DVD from our good friends in Minnesota. We watched it yesterday AM and it was so good to see their animated faces and hear all of their voices - Bible reading and singing. It made Tina cry. It made me want to ask for a glass of water (Grotewold-style) <-- inside joke. We may just find out how many times you can watch a DVD and wear it out. We are planning our retaliation DVD...

Their kids are getting big (which means that our kids are getting big to them, no doubt).

Brutus

Speaking of which, I think Carter weighs more than me now. He's got his Grandpa Schilling's brutus bone structure. I'll have to figure out a different way to deliver his knuckle sandwich when he misbehaves.


Pictures

Yesterday we took the family down to Petionville about a half hour away, the closest larger town around. We had to get photos for our permit to work and reside here.

When we got our pictures back, we just about cracked up laughing: About a week ago, we talked with a Haitian guy we had met a while ago and have seen a few times since then. He showed us his family photo that was taken in the States (he is married to an American) and you could hardly see his face. He said "The photographer didn't know how to take pictures of black people." We kinda chuckled. But when we saw our pictures that the Haitians took, we were greatly amused. I think I can say equally that they don't know how to take pictures of white people. Our faces blended in with the white background just like his face blended in with their dark background (navy). It was a funny moment for us (probably not as funny to our readers - but that's OK - I thought I would share it anyway).

Cake

We ended the day with a great cake that Tina made. Lou doesn't take his eyes off of ANY FOOD as you can see.


BCS

I didn't really want to work yesterday, but rather just enjoy my birthday. However, there were things to do. I found out how quickly I could remove and reinstall the upper control arm on the Ford Ranger. It was eating its way through the bushing and was going to soon cause problems. Pastor Rob needed it today and Mr. Kyrk is taking it up north on the worst "roads" on the planet, so it needed to be done. All-in-all I ended up working about a full day because I did more work on the database for automating the requisitions for materials that we have here.

No comments: