Thursday, March 12, 2009

Readings, Busy, BCS

I wanted to share a couple readings. As part of my daily reading, I read Morning and Evening by CH Spurgeon. Yesterday morning and this morning are both great readings (as most of them are).

Busy

Yesterday was especially busy for me (as I am sure that it was for others). The morning started out with us sending all of our drivers out and almost every vehicle. We had even called a back-up/occasional driver because we thought we might need him.

One set of guys had complaints about a vehicle they were supposed to take. There was apparently a problem with it that they hadn't made me aware of the day before. Pastor Rob and I got on their cases a little bit and told them that I need to know these things.

Once we got them out of the office and on their way, then various problems and issues hit. One of them was for a guy who was supposed to get out and beat the traffic so that he could come back and go out again. Pastor Rob and I realized that there was no way he would make it back in time.

We decided that I would go to the airport to pick up a couple guys that were coming from Cap Haitian. They were to arrive at the small airport where I had never been (but I knew where it was). I got in and found a spot to park with no issues. I was a half hour early and stood waiting outside. A worker at the airport came up and started talking to me in Creole. This was a great experience because he didn't know any (much) English. So for the next half hour or so, we were chatting/talking in Creole. Most of which I understood, but there were a few new vocabulary words to try to remember. His name was Rolex.

After a little while of being real close to the two guys (I was holding a board that said "Baptist Haiti Mission" just like the limo drivers in the states - except I didn't have a suit on, haha), I realized that they were next to me as I was talking to Pastor Rob on the phone and one of the guys was talking to a pastor next to Pastor Rob. They described me as a white guy in a white shirt with no hair - I was the only one fitting that description within many miles, so I am not so sure what took them so long to find me.

We got in the car and started driving. He didn't speak English. He told me that he wanted to stop somewhere on the way. We went to where he wanted to go (not far away) and dropped something off at a house. On the way back he was pointing me in the wrong direction to go back to the Mission and this was where I couldn't understand what he wanted or where he wanted to go. I tried to ask the questions in Creole many different ways hoping that one of the answers I would understand, but it didn't work. He made a phone call and said that we could just go to the Mission. I turned around and headed back. They said that I was a good driver - I feel that coming from a couple Haitian guys, that was a pretty big compliment. They said that fairly early on, so I hope that they also thought that near the end of the ride - as usual here, there are always close calls (not all high speed) during every trip.

Mr. Kyrk had been out since Monday morning and on our way up about 30 minutes away I ended up three cars behind him - he came back a day early (without incident I might add - thank God!).

When we got to the Mission it was close to closing time. I had one guy asking me if he could get a part fixed (I turned him over to our metal workers) and had our drivers coming back with their keys, receipts, and money. It was just busy - I won't get more boring than I already have been.

Boring Car Stuff...

Today I "PLAN" to work on the truck that nobody wants to drive so I can figure out what is wrong. I might work on fixing/rewelding the Canter frame. I also worked on a couple things with the Access database yesterday, so I'll try them out today and I might work on that some, too, today. (Yesterday, I also ran a cable to the mechanic shop in an attempt to get network access so I can make my entries and do computer work from the shop. It will be very nice to get that working!)

No comments: