Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thoughts Regarding Conveniences

I am missing some things of home:

Our church, pastors, and teachings

The conveniences of America like being able to run to a store and get virtually anything you are looking for (and what you are not looking for)

Cribbage with my Dad

Playing Pegs and Jokers with my parents and sister & brother-in-law

Watching movies with my in-laws at my in-laws

Going hiking at a park

Cheap groceries

Pizza and Italian food

Las Margaritas

DQ

Easy access to tools

High speed internet

My motorcycle

Driving faster than 30 MPH

Driving RC trucks with Carter

I wanted to create this post to encourage you to not take for granted the blessings that are available in America or in other places. The conveniences that are available are very nice and comforting - they make life easier. Yet, those conveniences can also become a distraction from our true purpose in life. I can recall times when there were so many distractions and so many conveniences that relying on our all powerful Lord seems unnecessary. I felt so in control of everything because everything was so easily do-able, accessible, and at my finger tips. Being here has really made me depend more on God and less on the "things" that are around me that I can get "whenever I want." And yet, we are still very blessed to be where we are as there are many others in Haiti and elsewhere who do not have close to what we have here now. It is very humbling.

Notice how few of the things that I have listed truly honor God. Church and fellowship with family are the only things that comes close. I still have work to do.

No comments: