Saturday, July 5, 2008

A Good Day

Our internet was down this morning so I couldn't post until now...

Carter and I tossed the football around a little bit yesterday morning. I then headed over to find work. We continued to work on a number of batteries, moving two batteries from one truck to another truck. In the middle of working on that, two guys called called me over to listen to a noise that a truck was making. So I had him back up and go forward a couple times. It turned out to be a bad U-joint. He told me that he had to go somewhere that was 3-hours away. I later found out that he only had to go about 45 minutes away. The U-joint probably would have lasted 45 minutes, but was hesitant to say that it would last for a 3-hour trip.

I took a look at the dump truck because someone else had asked and it, too, had a bad U-joint. It had a bit of lateral slack in it, but little rotational slack. It also looked like it had been that way for a while. When I was in one of the shop rooms, I noticed a bunch of U-joint parts – used no doubt. It seems as if very little is thrown away. I have to figure out their normal procedure: Do they replace with new parts or replace with old, used parts? We have to figure out whether it is beneficial to use used parts and break down more often or buy new parts and have less breakdowns.

We worked until noon when we were supposed to meet Troy (one of the people we met at the market on Tuesday) and Randy (who was in town from MN – World Wide Village). They didn’t come by 12:30 so we started eating. After lunch, we went back and then I found Len who mentioned that they were going for a hike. Since I follow Len around all the time and he has the keys to everything that I would help out with, I went with him and some others. When I got back, I found out that Troy and Randy made their way to our place and spent some time talking with Tina. I was very disappointed that I missed them!

In spite of my disappointment, I had a great time on the hike. We went about a mile out and down a very, very steep hill (650 feet according Google Earth). About 100 of that was walking downhill and the remaining 550 was so steep you couldn’t stand up and you had to watch out for falling rocks loosed by people coming down behind you. It was a great trip and I have awesome pictures! I was very tired from the hike – climbing back up was long and steep.





I washed up and we went to dinner with the group. We had a great time together. They brought in some singers called the Union Brother Singers and they were awesome! And then after dinner on Fridays, everyone is invited to Chris’s place (above our place) for games and fun. The Kayla, Carter, and I went while Tina and Lou stayed back because Lou was tired. We only stayed a half-hour because I was very tired.

This morning we have to work on finishing up the battery work on one truck (we had to replace half the terminals) because someone will be taking it right away this morning. I am still tired because the guard dogs here were barking almost all night – I wanted to show the dogs a nice place where I could give them a dirt nap.

No comments: