Sunday, July 27, 2008

Steady...

Before we left for camp, I had to replace the bushings at the end of the leaf springs of the Canter. Rarely will I have to get the truck this high to get the frame off the axle and get the axle up off the ground, so I should not have to be in this precarious position again. I just had to get a picture because not only does it look scary, but it was scary to be under it. I had quite a few Haitians stop by to see what in the world I was doing (I could tell what they were thinking by the look on their faces).



I had two jacks as you can see in the picture and a jack stand. The jack on the right didn't stay - it slowly let the vehicle down so I had to pump it up every once in a while. The replacement of the bushings went pretty smoothly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Only in Haiti - is all I can say

Ken Schlorf said...

I thought that the phrase "This is Haiti" was coined by the Livesay's, but after being here only 1-2 weeks I had heard the phrase numerous times. Strange things are done here. A couple other examples include super gluing a leaking radiator drain petcock, welding bolts/nuts on that will need to be removed at a later date, spending more time wiring a cable that broke out of the way instead of spending less time just fixing it. The list that I have seen already seems endless and I know that I haven't seen the end. It is now almost becoming entertaining to see what the most strange thing is. I think that I will start to keep track of these things and label them in my blog. Thanks for your comment Randy!

Ken