Tuesday, July 29, 2008

This is Haiti - Superglued Petcock

One of the things that I worked on yesterday was removing that petcock that drains the radiator. This thing was superglued to stop a leak. It didn't stop the leak, so I had to remove the plug and try to fix it right. It was very difficult to remove the superglue. The vehicle is a Ford Ranger (turbo intercooler - yes, Mr. Storm, I am tempted to modify it and make it faster - - I already scoped out where the wastegate is and how to modify the air intake) and the design of the petcock is poor to begin with and the glue made it worse. After about an hour I stripped out the phillips head of the petcock and so I got out the drill and started drilling. I broke the head of the plastic phillips screw right off. Fortunately, after sticking a small standard screwdriver in and twisting, the remaining part of the plastic screw came right out. This was a great blessing as well as the fact that my drilling didn't touch the radiator at all. So, now we are a couple US dollars away from solving this problem.

No comments: