Friday, July 4, 2008

First Day of Work

Len, one of the missionaries here, came up around 9AM yesterday morning and asked if I wanted to go help him with some things. Here is a list of what we did:

1) fixed a toilet that was leaking (we have to save all the water we can)
2) checked, tested, replaced batteries that are used while the generators are off
3) tested and checked a few problem car/truck batteries
4) replaced a circuit board on an X-ray imager
5) checked out the new construction area of the hospital - there will be work needed here in the near future (probably today)

The most interesting thing that I worked on yesterday was the generator. We replaced the oil in one of the two generators. That involved replacing two oil filters, two diesel fuel filters and the 4 gallons of oil. This engine was LARGE and in the generator room it was HOT, HOT, HOT. I am tempted to take my thermometer in there with me next time because it has to be pushing 130 degrees or more. Ear plugs were a must, too!!

In the near future, I will be helping Len with the electical in the new construction of an apartment that the doctors stay in here and checking out a couple Mission vehicles. I have to figure out how I am going to store my tools. Either I bring them back and forth with me all the time or I find a locked cabinet in a locked room to store it. Things disappear here - the dogs took a couple towels we left out to dry two nights ago. The dogs are "guard dogs" and are quite young. I don't really trust either of them, but they are locked up during the day. They make good guard dogs if you don't trust them, right? :-)

Here is a picture to the west from the roof of the three story medical clinic:



Tina worked on laudry yesterday as well. I am not sure that Lou liked his new hat...


Some of my French is coming back to me (after I weed out the Japanese) and more people understand French than English. I have to work on my Creole more.

Kayla and Carter are doing well. Lou is still having some tummy troubles (it comes up and he eats it again in his mouth), but he is better than the last time we saw him. He requires a bit of attention and is slowly getting used to a new routine. Tina is doing well. I am just really concerned about keeping everyone in good spirits and feeling good. We played UNO and Yahtzee last night (games that travel easy).

Tina and I are going to be tired today - sleep wasn't that good. We would like a new matress or some padding on top of what we got... We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Dolores said...

Lou is stunningly beautiful. The country is, too. It sounds like Lou may have some reflux, like our Tim. I hope everybody feels well soon!
God bless!
Dolores