Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Quick Update

Just a quick update:

I got a Haitian cell phone now so it will be easier for others to contact me and for me to contact others. Tina and I use walkie-talkies while on the grounds, but others are not using them. Instead if someone needs someone, they'll call them on their cell phone. The total acres of the grounds here are around 30-40 acres (from what I was told).

We swapped beds out yesterday and slept on a king size bed last night. It was GREAT! I got some good sleep. Tina slept better, but still not great. She either has a bad cold or this air is causing her grief.

My language learning is progressing pretty well because of working in the shop. It is necessary to learn the language when things come up and we have to solve problems. For example, one of the dump trucks has a driveshaft that is too long and I was working with a Haitian who thought just a little bit needed to be cut off. I measured it and showed him that more needed to be cut off for it to work. He then agreed and took it to get done, but it was in the struggle of the commuincating that a lot of language is learned. The more I use it, the more I will remember it.

I'll bore you with more of what I have been doing to help out later...

Tina has been doing an awesome job figuring out how to cook (cleanly) and how to manage the laundry. She has stated a few times that this is the hardest thing that she has ever done. I do have to agree with her.

Lou is really loosening up. He is laughing and playing more. Kayla and Carter are playing and trying to include him. I am sure that he has very little experience with playing and with toys.

Kayla and Carter were out playing with the girls yesterday and had a garder snake. They were having a lot of fun with it (and so was I). I should have taken a picture of them with it in their hair for Grandma Schilling! :-)

No comments: