Friday, October 23, 2009

Cite Soleil

This afternoon and evening I am going somewhere I would not have thought I would ever go when I first got to Haiti. I am going with someone, Joel Trimble, and Cullie (my mechanic missionary friend) to the shanty town of Cite Soleil (click to read about the city - some things have improved since the writing of that Wikipedia website, so please don't read that and think that I am committing suicide because the adoption is not finished). We're not just going to the outskirts, but to the guts.

We have been meeting at Mr. Trimble's house on Sunday mornings to worship Our Lord. He has been showing a film that he made in his minstry and has invited me to go along. The film is basically a current-day, prodigal son story in Kreyol. Mr. Tremble goes to Cite Soleil with his SUV toting a decent-sized screen and projector. With a generator (there is very little electricity in the city) and the projector set up on the truck, he shows the film in the middle of the "street" - he has already scoped out the location and determined where to show the film. He has been going to various locations within Cite Soleil about once a week (usually Fridays) to show the film and has had much success - large crowds gather. After the film, he speaks to the people about the forgiving grace of God in His Son, Jesus, and invites people to come up for prayer if the Lord has called them to begin following Him. He has coordinated with over 100 pastors to followup with these folks.

For those who want a relationship with Jesus, a Haitian pastor will be available to them for the days, weeks, months and years afterwards. Things are a little different in Cite Soleil. Streets signs and addresses are pretty consistent throughout the downtown and larger cities, but here there are no addresses or street names, so for a pastor to know where a person lives in order to follow up with them takes a big long description of various landmarks in an crammed-living-space environment to find where they live.

We will have to be very careful - Joel is a coordinated guy and seems to have his things well planned out. I would like to bring my camera and take a couple shots, but I wouldn't want to make anyone upset or have it cause problems. I'll see what I can do to capture some memories on (digital) film. By the time we finish, it will be dark and pictures will not be a possibility.

Please pray that we are kept safe and that the films will have a great impact on those who view it. As always, we pray that we follow the Lord's guidance as we interact.

No comments: