Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Illness, Customs, Stove, Temperature

Kayla was sick Monday with a stomach ache and little fever. It lasted all day by she woke up yesterday feeling fine. Such is life here. It seems that we all have these stomach aches every so often. Praise God that we haven't gotten an illness that has really torn us down!

Customs

Yesterday, Carter and I went with Jeff - one of our drivers - to customs in Port-au-Prince by the airport. They needed a couple receipts for car parts that I ordered for the Mission. I got to see most of my boxes that have not gone through customs yet. I also got to pick up two of my packages. One was a box that my parents sent in the middle of August. (Thanks Mom and Dad!) The rice crispie treats inside were still good enough for Carter and me to eat (but not Tina and Kayla, so there will be more for me and Carter - we didn't try to give any to Lou). We didn't get the boxes because I went with and am a smooth talker. They were just ready to be picked up. The box contains three pairs of mechanix gloves that I ordered and had sent to my parents. I am looking forward to giving one pair to Anes who helps me out in the shop and used to do most of the mechanic work.

While we were there, Jeff was talking to the customs guy who was in a car accident and was still feeling pain. He told Jeff to tell me that he could use money for pills. I told Jeff that it sounded like a bribe and that I could not give him any money. I hope that doesn't cause negative impact as opposed to just remaining neutral. Had I paid him, it MAY have helped to get my boxes out faster. It makes no sense to promote the corruption. I think I expected the guy to come out and say "If you pay me, I'll get your boxes through." But instead he did it this way and I am thankful to God that my "Minnesota Nice" brain caught it as a bribe instead of another person asking for money.

Stove

There is a worker here named Frank. Frank has talked with me in the past and knows a little English. He has tried to teach me some Creole and most of what he has tried to teach me are Christian sayings/verses.

He gave me a little cooking stove to try to fix. In the bottom of it is a spot for kerosene and that spot had a hole worn through the metal which was leaking. I tried to fix it with two of our welders, but the welders were too hot for the thin metal and it melted it away making it worse. I kind of thought that would happen and was more than willing to buy him a new one if it did. While we were out yesterday going to customs, I asked Jeff where we could buy one of these things. So we found a place on the street in downtown Port where someone was selling the exact same stove. I had to buy the whole thing and not just the piece that was broken. I was so blessed by the boots and pants that Gerbin gave me, that I was more than willing to pass the blessing along. I would have done it even if I didn't get the pants and boots.

When we got back, Jeff told me that I should leave it in the truck and that he would tell him that it was there. I didn't see Frank the rest of the day, but when Carter and I took one of the vehicles out for a test drive we saw him on the way back and so I stopped to talk with him. He was so very happy and had a huge smile on his face. I told him, "Give God the praise for the stove and not me." This is the good stuff - this is one of the many reasons I like being here!

Carter went with me and Jeff to look around at what was for sale on the street after Jeff went to buy the stove (if I had gone with him, they would have charged a lot more for the stove). In hindsight, I probably should not have done that there in Port. We looked for a couple minutes and then things started feeling uncomfortable and Jeff said that he noticed a couple guys following us. We headed back for the truck and left. There are better, safer places to look around at the things for sale.

Boring car stuff...

Yesterday since I was on the road most of the day, all I got done was to put new shocks on the formerly-caged Landcruiser (the truck we used to go to customs). The shock mount that I had to fabricate and mount because the stock one busted off worked real well after testing it in on the road. The other front shock was leaking fluid so we replaced it. Today I will continue to work on the cage for the new Landcruiser.

Temperature for the last two weeks (which I frequently forget to post)
Max temp - 77.5
Min temp - 64.4
Max humidity - 90
Min humidity - 67

No comments: