Monday, July 13, 2009

This Week?, Family

We are hoping that this week is a big week.

1) We are expecting (and were expecting last week) the results of the DNA test.
2) We were told that this week will be the week that we get out of MOI (from someone who has little power over when things happen, but "knows" the system - our orphanage director). We are 6 days away from being in MOI for 7 months.

This is Haiti so we realize that any expectation that we have of something happening has about a 5% chance of really happening (based on previous experiences). We'll be doing everything within our power to get these things done this week and God will make happen what He wants (whether He does it through us or not through us).

Family

We're alive and still kicking.

Lou is gaining some weight - mostly, we think, due to Tina grinding up every meal in a blender. He just doesn't chew or doesn't chew well. He'll take every opportunity to not chew if you are not staring at him. He has also regressed quite a bit in the potty department. He doesn't let the river flow when it's time to go. He'll stop it when he thinks he has gone enough and then stare us down in what seems to be an attempt to show that he has control on something that we can't do anything about. His physical health seems pretty good right now, but his mental health is very challenging to us (which may show that his mental health is actually pretty good). From what we have read about Down syndrome, he seems to be fitting the bill.

Carter is doing well. Saturday, Christopher (upstairs), Carter and I started swapping engines (and other parts) in the four-wheeler (we have a newer spare because of the four-wheeler than went down the mountain a while ago). I hope to finish it up this week - the old engine was not running well and it was blowing compression out places it should not be. The boys love to ride that four-wheeler (I do too).

Kayla is also doing pretty well. We had some visitors this last week and their teenage girls brought some string and were making bracelets with the girls. Kayla is not enjoying making them.

Tina and I are struggling. Struggling with the length of the adoption (and all of those involved in the process). Struggling with Lou's stubbornness. Struggling with the differences in managing family and life. I recently stated to Tina that until we hit the 1-year mark (the longest I used to think that the adoption would take), I didn't consider it true perseverance. Now that we are after that 1-year mark, I am really feeling that every day is a struggle to persevere.

We are tired and want a break - it would be great to know when the adoption will be complete so we can look forward to a date that we get that break, but the Lord doesn't want us to know. This whole process requires things that we do not have - we are trusting that the Lord will provide what we need (mostly mentally) from one day to the next. Prayers are welcomed.

7 comments:

Lena Just Lena said...

Praying for you and with you. I feel your pain, to a certain, limited extent. Here in the states, as we approach the one year mark since we met/committed to adopting our sons, I get asked "when are you going to get the boys?" or "what's the timeline before they come home?" about a gazillion times each week. (slight exageration)

My answer varies depending upon my mood, which is probably not a good thing. lol

I've accepted (most of the time, but not all) the fact that there is absolutely NOTHING I can do to move this adoption at all. It will be in God's perfect timing. I pray that He grants you, and me, the strength we need to get through it, one day at a time.

Prayerfully,

Lena

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you. I do understand the stubborness. REALLY. My son is so in the Terrible 2 stage. VERY frustrating. (He'll be 5 in October) It's 2 steps forward and 3 steps back somedays. BUT in spite of all of this, he's having a wonderful summer and learning to swim! I think you'll see a real difference once you can get him into therapy/school. It will give you the respite you want plus it'll help you find your way where Lou is concerned. Hang on. Just a bit longer. Some days you really do have to out stare him. Or distract him and make him think he's won, just to come back around to what he didn't want to do in the first place.

Jan

Chris said...

Oh, Ken and Tina, my heart is aching for you guys. I will definitely step up the prayers for you.

Ken Schlorf said...

Lena,
My wife and I have always played with the time frames in our head. It has not failed yet that the time goes beyond our expectations even when we pad them. Like the DNA testing, for example. We were told 3-5 days for the results and expected to be at the 5 days. It's now day 7 and we haven't heard anything. We hear you when you speak of your mood - we seem to be able to keep our mood internal (in the house and not letting it affect our relationship with others) and not let others see it. Thank you for your prayers!

Jan,
We SINCERELY appreciate your wisdom and knowledge into the life of Down syndrome (we read your blog, too). When you talk about things like the "stare", we laugh because we do it with him. Thank you for staying connected!

Chris,
Thank you for your prayers and for being there for us!

Ken

Gwen said...

Praying for you and Tina. The adoption process is grueling - to say the least!! All the unknowns - UGHHHH!! Only God knows and we just need to trust, obey and keep the faith. We WILL get through this Haiti adoption process - through lots and lots of prayer.

With Lou - you guys are doing GREAT!!! We just take one day at a time and laugh a lot! : )

Couldn't imagine life without having a child (or 2 or 3) in the home with an extra chromosome! It's the best thing God ever did with our life. Hang Tough!

Praying you get the DNA results and out of MOI this week! (what is up with MOI anyway?? - seems like a HUGE hold up in there again? - besides the fact, that this is Haiti?)

Anonymous said...

Glad I can 'help'. Let me just tell you, I didn't take Sawyer to church on Sunday. Why? Because we were at my inlaws. I just didn't have it in me to fight him AND It would have been a fight. I told my MIL, I just wouldn't be very 'Christ-like' after wrestling with him. He has his moments. THru it all, I'd want him to be who he is. He's a precious little guy and I love him dearly. I would however, want to be able to handle it better on the days I feel like I totally screw it up.

Jan

Kathy said...

We are struggling, too. We have been in this process 22 months. We signed the adoption application on September 1, 2007. Our files (dossier) have been in Haiti since January 20, 2008.

Hang in there! It helps to know that we aren't the only ones struggling!

God's blessings to you and your family.