Thursday, April 23, 2009

Request for Money

Many times this blog is simply an update about what we are doing - sort of a journal - to keep the memories and to share with friends and family. I usually don't get to "thoughtful", but here is a post heavy with thought.

I was changing oil just before a downpour of rain yesterday afternoon, when a guy came up to me and started telling me about his daughter (in Creole). She is at another hospital and needs surgery that will cost $1600 Haitian (about $200 US). He has $900 but needs $700. The surgery that she needs is urgent (as it was written on a piece of paper from the other hospital - not the one here). I asked him if he had talked to Mr. Kyrk and he had. He said that Mr. Kyrk told him that Pastor Baker is not here and he will not be for about three weeks. About that time, one of the Mission's doctors walked by so I asked him to help me figure it out. It turns out that I was understanding him correctly. The doctor asked him a few questions and told him that he would contact his son (who is a doctor up north in Haiti) to see if he knows this doctor and get back to him. The guy who wants the money will be coming back tomorrow AM.

We have heard about how others here at the Mission handle situations like this, but I have yet to solidify my own stance and position. Things are so very complicated here - more so than in the States. People don't come up to you in the States and tell these stories to you and ask you for money - we have insurance companies and churches and websites to request and get and find and resolve money problems related to medical issues.

We have done a bit of reading on this topic (both from the Bible and outside of it).

If I just give money away, I'll have a line at my door of people asking for money for their (legitimately) sick children (and not legitimately).

If I ask him to work for the money (which is not my place here at the Mission) he may or may not, but we have plenty of people looking for jobs that we have turned down - does this guy get a quick job to earn money because he told his story where another person who asked for a job and didn't get it needs it for his sick child?

The Bible tells us that we are to help fellow Christians in need as a priority (Galations 6:10)- if I ask him if he goes to church and believes that Jesus is his savior is he telling the truth or is he telling me what he thinks will get me to give him money?

The Bible tells us, too, to give to the poor and be generous (Proverbs 14:31)- do I know this guy is poor? He looked pretty good in a nice button down shirt (but clothing looks here in Haiti are really deceiving).

The Bible tells us, too, to be discerning (Proverbs 16:21)- is this guy like many people who will figure out a way to convince me to give him money? Did he write his own 'prescription' on the hospital's paper? Is he going down the road asking for money of all the missions/white people he can find?

Through various comments about how missionaries are actually causing the situation to be worse here by giving away free money for many things, we have to figure out the Biblical way to assist the Haitian people. Does it help them to just give them money? Does it help them more to make them work extra to earn their money? Should he have come telling his story and asking for work to earn the money instead of just flat out asking for money? Is it better to point him to his church, his local community, to ask for money? Do you give a loan? What is best?

3 comments:

Cindi Campbell said...

My heart goes out to you and to all those in need in Haiti. I don't know what I would do nor the right thing to do. I do read blogs about people needing money to bring children home from China or wherever and when my heart gets touched I go to the chip-in thingy and put in a few. Sometimes my heart is cold and I don't , but don't know if God did not touch my heart or I closed it shut. hmmm. I love reading about your adventures. And hey, I'm proud of you guys.
Cindi
mom to 3 China beauties

Anonymous said...

Man, that is tough. When my son was born he had some typical heart issues that many children with Down Syndrome have plus he had some atypical/life threatening stuff. I never had to worry about his medical care because one, we had wonderful insurance and two, the hospital NEVER turned anyone away, even if they could not pay.

How sad to have to beg for help for your child. What anguish it must put on a parents heart to have to worry about that on top of the sickness the child has. How sad to have to temper your own desire to help with the reality of what that help may cause in the future. It's a tough position to be in.

I know when my husband traveled to Ethiopia to pick up one of our children, one thing that the older generation said, was that the 'we are the world' generation did was cause there to be more beggars. They came in during a terrible time and offered money/food/life to the people. (instant but not necessarily sustainable) When they left, many of the younger group decided it was much better/easier to beg than to work. (His wording, not ours) The flip side of that, in many countries, there isn't much work/resources to get out of the cycle. So what do you do?

I feel your pain. Don't have any words of wisdom though. Not sure what I'd do in a similar situation.Is there a way to set up some sort of fund at the hospital to help cases like this? I suspect it could easily break the bank but just throwing out an idea.

Jan

June Berger said...

Wow, that's a tough one. My heart would say to give them money, but logic and others experiences counter that. I guess I would try and find out if the story is true, possibly your friend's doctor son? Then if it was true and you felt inclined, maybe you could anonymously pay for the surgery at the hospital itself? That way you would know you did what you felt lead to do, without others knowing and then coming to you for money. Just a thought, praying you get the answer you want.