Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Birthday, Rice

Monday evening we celebrated Carter's birthday with a dinner of the food of his choice (hot dogs) in the nice (warmer) weather on our patio area. Kayla and Tina did a great job decorating and the grandparents contributed towards the purchase of ice cream (it costs about $10 per gallon here - sometimes more depending on the brand). He has some money coming to him from his one and only aunt and uncle that he has to decide what to do with.


Rice

Yesterday we got two shipments of rice in to provide food for our schools. These are 110 pound sacks of rice that come from Saudi Arabia, Taiwan, and Japan through
the World Food Program.




(Hmmm...is Saudi Arabia really the "Kingdom of Humanity"?

They are very heavy. I only helped on the second truck because I was changing oil on another truck. I wanted to help because I wanted the exercise.

Boy, did I get exercise!

I was one of two guys that stayed in the truck and lifted the sacks of rice onto others shoulders or head or wherever they wanted it. I have blisters on the outside of my knuckles from grabbing the bags and that is WITH GLOVES. These Haitian guys are tough! There are two that about twice my age - one did a LOT of work (more than the younger guys) and one that did work, but showed his age.

No comments: