Sunday, May 10, 2009

Happy Mother's Day!, Busy Sunday AM

Happy Mother's Day!!

We called our mothers last night, but would like to pass on this hope for a good Mother's Day to all mothers!

Busy Sunday AM

It started with me hearing a truck that wasn't ours and shouldn't be here on Sunday (at 7:30AM). It followed with one of our guards (I'd argue he's our best guard) coming to my door to say that we have a delivery of food here. I told the guard that it's Sunday and was figuring out what to do. If we work now, we wouldn't obey the 4th commandment of keeping the Sabbath holy - there would be no other whole day in the week to rest and focus on the Lord because Mr. Kyrk and Pastor Rob are gone - things start bright and early Monday morning.

There was hardly a soul around because we have no workers (except the guards on Sunday) so, I would have had a lot of work to do. Though that was NOT the main point (I like work) I would be happy to not have to do it all myself.

I ended up getting an answer from calling Mme. Kyrk after trying another source. She said that the place that was delivering food was told not to deliver on Sunday. That made the decision right there. The people that brought the food up were not happy. So the truck will sit here until tomorrow when, after we unload it, they'll leave.

Minutes later, I get a phone call that revealed that our caretaker at the mission's beach/camp house was hit and killed by a vehicle while he was walking/standing on the road going to church.

So we had to scramble to figure out what to do. Our hospital administrator (a great guy) is Haitian and he knows how things work here. He wanted to make sure that we had someone going to the house/camp to watch it. He feared that if word got out that he had died that people would go and try to steal things from the house/camp.

We sent a couple guys with a truck and money to keep an eye on the place, pay for funeral-type things, and go with the police to the person's house who hit and killed the caretaker. (From my understanding, in Haiti, if you hit someone, you better run home or you might end up getting beat/killed by the bystanders of the incident. Let the police come to you and you MAY be better off.)

The first scenario was like this and the second like this. All in one day and it provided a great example to my children (and myself).

Please pray for this man's family of three sons and a wife. I don't have an idea of what will be in their future short-term or long-term.

2 comments:

June Berger said...

Praying for the caretakers family. Happy Mother's Day to your wife :o) .

Ken Schlorf said...

Thank you for your prayers, June, and my wife said "Thank you and Happy Mother's day to you, too!"

I think I would prefer boring to people dying. "Boring" only lasted one day.