Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Beach, Boring (non)Car Stuff

There was an issue with a water pump at BHMs camp location up north. I had the family pile in to enjoy the beach while I worked with Mr. Len. Carter and I rode in the back of the pickup truck the whole 2 plus hours there and the whole 2 plus hours back. Here are some pictures of the trip.




The wind holding my mouth open and Carter enjoying the breeze too:


Boring (non)Car Stuff...

It appears that the water pump isn't situated correctly to do its job (that's the first problem). The generator runs that pump (the big old green Lister). That generator was about to shake itself apart because it has been abused over the years, but it ran. I did a little tightening up of various parts (and have the video to prove how bad it was) and then we tried to start it - it wouldn't start. I figured it was because a couple mechanisms were removed that limited the travel of the throttle. Those limits were there because internal things (like springs and levers) weren't designed to go beyond the limits. When they went beyond the limits, things either fell apart or broke.

Since we have two of these generators and one is back at the mission, I took a look at the one here and think I have the solution to get it running (reliably), but won't be able to make it out there until late next week because Mr. Len and I will be the only two guys (American missionaries) here for a while. We just ordered the manuals for this generator, too, so we can get them working again (and order the right new parts). After that, we'll have to figure out a way to keep the maintenance up to par and not let people destroy it.

No comments: