Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Quitting my Job (and a Lie)

The Bible says that we hold a treasure in jars of clay. I am certainly a jar of clay - not worthy of holding the treasure that God has given...

Monday night my boss came to pick me up. We were going to Chicago for a conference. Not two blocks from my house, I told her that we sold our house. She was surprised that it happened so fast. She then asked if we planned to ramp up the house search. So I told her that we were planning to go to Haiti until the adoption is complete and I needed to ask for a leave of absence. This was decieving and it was wrong (read: sin).

This is the part that I was dreading. I played this over in my head for weeks. There was so much to consider: my signing bonus, havnig a job in case going to Haiti didn't work out, medical benefits, etc... But all of these things showed that I trusted more in what happened to my money and the job. I failed to realize that I was not trusting the Lord to provide. He has been so faithful - why did I not trust him with this?

So I answered her further questions with the lie that we were planning to come back after the adoption was compelte. In reality, I have no plans to come back - God will determine the timing.

After calling Tina and discussing it with her before the plane took off and after the flight to Chicago (with prayer and mental preparation), as soon as we got off the plane (we weren't sitting next to each other) I told her "Do you remember how I siad that I wish there was a book I could read so I knew how to handle this situation? Well, there is. It's called the Bible and I have failed. I decieved you. I have no intention of returning."

She asked my why I did that and I explained that I was concerned about that if it didnt' work out and I was back within six months I would want my job back, I wanted to secure the signing bonus and possibly maintain the medical benefits during the leave. What I should have said to her was that I was not trusting God, but rather in my job and money.

I have told her that my last day will be around June 20th. I am thinking now it will be more like June 13th. She wants a day soon to start planning.

Clay pot... That's me. I am not perfect, but God sent his son, Jesus, to die for our sins and if we repent and trust in him, we are all made perfect. That offer is open for anyone regardless of situation.