Saturday, May 17, 2008

Preparation

Garage Sale
Our garage sale is becoming a little smaller. We have had a few relatives purchase some of our furniture. I had a gentleman come last night to look at our bedroom set. I had a guy buy my shop press. We sold Carter's motorcycle (the kid who bought it almost crashed - I hope he doesn't. It's got 50% more power than what it came with new. This was a great gift from a great Great Grandpa and Grandma - Thank you!).


Tina and I are starting to have a real hard time pricing things. We have been blessed with a great number of friends and family that want to help with the garage sale. They may have a better perspective on what things are worth because they are not tied to our things nor did they buy them.

They can also help to absorb some of the 'goofiness' around selling things. Things like the guy that bought my shop press. I listed it for $80. He came to look at it and said "How about $60?" I did what I thought anyone would do - I split the difference. I said "Let's go $70." He then decided that wasn't enough and so wanted to go $65. I said "Splitting hairs..." stalled a little to let him think about it and I said "$65 is fine."

I went to lunch on Friday with a former co-worker and they told me that they once had someone talk them down from $1 to $0.75 for a toy. I am not sure how I feel about this. It seems so crazy to talk about saving a quarter of a dollar. I have feeling that my perspective on this may change soon...

Small Group
We have had to make a number of additional difficult decisions lately - one decision is regarding the small group that we joined (through our church). We have met with them a few times and very much enjoy their company and sharing the things that are going on in each other's lives. God is doing great things! We enjoyed prayers with them and fellowship. Because of the many things that we are trying to focus on, we have decided not to attend any further meetings. We sincerely hope to stay in touch. Our current focus is so heavily narrowed down on the house and the things in it that we want to use any spare time on the people in the house. We want to help prepare Kayla and Carter as best we can for what they are going to be experiencing. My prayer is that we can continue to be connected to the small group.

Work
I am having concerns about work. I took Thursday afternoon off because all I could think about was the things that I had to do and get ready at home. I also said that I would take Friday afternoon off. I needed, NEEDED, that afternoon on Thursday. Friday was a little different. I was more focused on work because (I think) I had a handle on what was going on at home. I got lots of work done in the morning. After coming home, I was glad that I took the afternoon off because we got a lot more done.

The concern that I have is that my last few weeks/days leave a bad taste in employer's mouth. I want to continue to be diligent in my work and be a good example of a good employee. If I cannot accomplish that, then I will quit early. I really don't want to be asked to leave because I am not providing any benefit to them - I want to be the first person to recognize this and act on it. I pray that the Lord gives me this discernment.

No comments: