Sunday, May 18, 2008

Great News!

Out of IBESR
We received an email yesterday from our adoption agency that said that Lou is finally out of the first stage of the adoption process. It took 12 months and 1 day to get past that point. Now there are three stages left and we are beyond being able to estimate what amount of time it will take. The remaining stages should move faster...but...you never know...



Movie
We decided we needed a break from running at 100mph. We have been organizing and selling our things. We have been very blessed to have a number of people come over and buy our things before we have a garage sale. This is a very tiring process. We decided that we would go see CS Lewis's movie Prince Caspian. It had been a long time since we had been to the movies and we haven't had a TV hooked up in about 3 months. I can't believe (and I literally mean that) how much things have changed.

Nachos for $6.25?!? Fountain pop for more than $5?!? Popcorn for more than $5?!? I was thinking that I needed to speak with a loan officer. (no, I didn't buy the Nachos)

And that's not the worst of it. This is a kid's movie we were going to and there was sex all over the content before the movie. Even Chips Ahoy cookies were - and I quote - "sexy." Then the next ad followed it up showing a boy and girl in the back of car about to ... and someone knocks on the door. This lady tells the kids to think about what they are doing and then explains the reality to them by setting a crying baby on their lap.

HUH?!? Dousing the viewer with all sorts of sexual things before a kid's movie and then show them reality? Is not this a parent's responsibilty? Should a movie theater be teaching our children (not teenagers) these things?

I think I just went to my last movie at a movie theater. As our pastor would say, "Are we to spend our lives watching 'good' movies?"

2 comments:

carol said...

Hi,
You dont know me but we sent email back and forth once about Lou. My family sponsered him In RR xmas angels. I loved the video of him laughing. I am so grateful to your family for adopting him. He is such a sweet boy and is so deserving of a forever family. I just found out about your blog and read where you are getting ready to leave for Haiti.
I hope I can keep following your blog and that the adoption goes fast from here on so you can get Lou back to the states soon.

Gob Bless your family. I am so proud of everything you are doing to help Lou get his family.Enjoy your adventure. Stay safe and give that sweet boy a hugg for me.
Carol N.

Ken Schlorf said...

Carol,

I do remember our emails back and forth! Thank you again for sponsoring Lou!

I am glad that you found our blog. I would like to help raise awareness of what life is like in Haiti and do what we can to help out. The Lord has moved so swiftly and wonderfully in our lives. There is no way we could have accomplished what we have without Him!

I am also glad that you liked the video. It is one of our favorites. There is another one that cracks us up - I'll try to post that on the blog soon.

We are planning to stay in Haiti even after the adoption is complete. I think the Lord is calling us there long-term. One of the feelings that I have is that God is going to use Lou to help the Haitian people see that disabled/down syndrome people are indeed people too and can contribute to a successful society. God is good!

He gets all the praise for what is happening in our lives - we are simply obeying what He is telling us to do. We will certainly give Lou a hug for you!

Thank you for your encouragement and I pray that Lord blesses you, Carol!
Ken