Monday, May 19, 2008

Plan Update – 05/19/2008

The purpose of this post is to help me track the plan and see the variance in where we actually end up. I also hope that it keeps concerned friends and family updated on what is in the works for our future. I will occasionally update the plan as I see necessary. I will have a link in the upper right of the blog that points to the latest plan.

We decided that we will sell almost everything and store what we think we’ll want in Haiti later or that has sentimental value. We’ll store these things at our family’s homes (thank you family!).

Our garage sale is this upcoming weekend. We started organizing and pricing things last night (thank you Mom and Dad!). Our next step is to go through the inside of the house more thoroughly and bring to the garage everything that we will not bring or store. That will leave us with very little in the house. The goal will be to get rid of everything this weekend and not bring anything back into the house. We’ll trash or donate whatever doesn’t sell in the garage sale.

I am still trying to figure out the precise date to quit at work. There are a few loose ends that I would like to see tied up before I go, however, due to limited resources at work I may not be able to accomplish them. My boss is out 5 of the next 9 business days which makes leaving earlier than planned (the 13th) more difficult. I don’t want to leave her while she is out of the office and leave her holding the bag. I am thinking that it will be in the first week of June and not the end of the second week. There is so much to get done at home now that my time will be best spent not working at the office.

We are planning to have our house ready a day or two before c losing so the day of closing isn’t too filled with things to do – this should reduce a little stress. Around this time, we’ll start to sell our last vehicle: our 1996 GMC Suburban.

Once all that is done, it’ll be time to focus on preparing the children for what is to come. We’ll have about 10 days to build up our relationships and go through what to expect on the way to Haiti and when we get to Haiti (Tina and I don’t know exactly, but we will know more than Kayla and Carter do, so we’ll try to help them understand and prepare).

No comments: