Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Fifi, Bike, BCS, White Collar, Lister

Eleanor Turnbull, who started the Baptist Mission with her husband more than a half a century ago, was at the zoo this afternoon and had taken the monkey, Fifi, out. Carter went over to where she was and Mrs. Turnbull showed Carter how to care for Fifi. The next thing I knew, Carter had a new friend.



Bike

Carter got a new (used) bike in the last shipment that we received from Cliff (the former mechanic of the Mission whom I recently mentioned on the bhm.org Field Journal blog post). I'll get a picture of Carter on the bike later in the week. This was a great blessing - Thank you, Cliff! Carter loves to ride the bike!


Boring Car Stuff...

Since this section is already called "Boring" I won't apologize for the boring nature of the material in here. I replaced the Pathfinder alternator today because we finally got the right one. I changed the oil and filter in the big International steakbed (the oil filter for that thing holds one gallon of oil - I filled it up before I installed it). I changed oil in our '08 Landcruiser pickup and repaired the cage as well. I cleaned my shop up a bit and moved things around so that it looked better.

White Collar

Mr. Kyrk has been gone since Tuesday AM and is scheduled to come back tomorrow. Pastor Rob has been overseeing me as I run the office in the morning. It's been a little slower (thank you Lord!) because of the Carnival/Mardi Gras celebrations. My Creole is coming along pretty good. I just need a little work on some sentence structure and my vocabulary (which will come with time). I am starting to get to the point where I don't have to translate everything into English and can just go with the Creole that I hear.

Lister

A few days ago Mr. Chris brought the non-functional old Lister generator from the beach house up north. There are two of the same make and model and the one that was left there isn't in the greatest shape, but it is working. This thing will be a MAJOR project. I hope to be able to find the manual for it, but there is a possiblity that it became rat food a while back. I'll be looking for it tomorrow. You can see the parts on the bench in the picture. The right 2/3 of the stuff on the bench is for the generator.


Our generator seems to be having issues as well. The oil pressure in #1 is pegging the needle - way too high. I read the manual and it says that the high pressure relief valve may be the problem. It appears that I may have to drop the oil pan to check that out to see if that is problem. To be certain, first I will remove and swap the oil pressure sensors to make sure that it isn't simply the sensor and to do that, I will have to get up early to do the swap. We'll see what happens tomorrow - with 10,000 hours, they are probably due for an overhaul...so do we do that if I drop the pan...?

No comments: