Friday, September 4, 2009

Worst Possibility for Paperwork

As we near the end, we discussed what the worst case scenario could be with what we have left to do to complete the adoption. It turns out that currently, that "worst case" is upon us that we discussed.

The US Embassy/USCIS (United States Csomething and Immigration Services) has managed to lose our I600 paperwork which we need to get the last part done (the visa that goes on the passport that we are working on now). It cannot be found. They claim to have sent it to the States over a week ago, but the States haven't seen it. It's gone. All other families adopting from Haiti get a notice saying that they have an approved I600 - we don't have that and our paperwork is now missing.

Our adoption agency person is working on tracking it down and so are we through our orphanage director. Hopefully one of them can figure out what is going on.

We are very frustrated to say the LEAST.

Additionally, we are trying to track the paperwork out of MOI. We keep getting different stories from one person in particular. At one point, people could go to MOI and pick up paperwork only on Tues and Thurs. Then that date changed to Friday. Now after talking with that same person, no one can pick up paperwork at MOI. MOI sends the paperwork to Immigration (USCIS?). Hopefully if MOI really does send paperwork to the USCIS they don't lose the whole file, too.

God is allowing us to go through the wringer. Are we being successful in this additional test? At times we feel we are not. Please pray with us that this will all be over!

6 comments:

Debbie Woodward said...

Ken -

Are you saying that NO additional copies of the paperwork are kept at any of these organizations?

Is now the time to ask for help from the States since this seems to be US organizations sending paperwork to each other or am I wrong about that?

I am so sorry to hear about this.

Debbie Woodward

Ken Schlorf said...

Haitian US Embassy says they sent it to the States. States say they haven't received anything. We are looking into getting information from the Haitian US Embassy regarding actually sending anything. Of course, if they don't have any information and have lost the paperwork it could take a long time. I have someone from my State's Senator's office looking into it, too. We have a lot of people looking into it, so I hope we find something out and soon!

The other issue is getting the paperwork from MOI to Haitian Immigration...that hasn't happened yet and it was supposed to today. We'll be looking into this Monday - hopefully people will be working here in Haiti so they can do this part.

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I can't take it anymore. (Oh wait, I don't have to)

So sorry this is happening. I think you're doing right by getting the Senator's office involved. Sheesh. Hope it works out for you next week.

I have to say, those latest *eye* pictures of Lou. Man he seems like he's growing up fast. Such a big boy! Handsome too.

Good luck. Hang in there.

Jan

dorrfamily said...

Ken,
I added your blog to my facebook again for prayers for you. Someone made a comment that may be of interest for you. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
Kelly

Kelly said...

Wow! Praying for you! I just don't know what to say!

When this is finally over, and you are home WHAT will you find to occupy your time??? Can you just catch a glimpse of no more paperwork? It has got to be grand!!!!

Kathy said...

I'm so sorry to hear all of this. Man, you just don't get a break!

I know you've already probably done this, but have you given this situation COMPLETELY to God? Specifically, getting the I-600 found and approved; and getting the paperwork out of MOI and on to Haitian immigration for the passport? I'll pray for this and for you and your family that you can weather this, too.

Here's a Bible verse that helped me through this. "The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zep 3:17)

Hope this lifts you up! God bless you.

Kathy