Sunday, September 13, 2009

Of the Lord

Often (very often) times, as we are going through this lengthy adoption process, I have struggled with knowing how much to do myself and how much to sit back and wait for God to work on His own (because He is always working and doesn't NEED my help).

There seem to be many things that we can do so that we can "do all that we can" and leave the results up to God. I believe that one of the MANY things that God has taught me by being here and going through the adoption process is that we must put forth our efforts under Biblical scrutiny (i.e., do not do things that do not represent a true Christian) and the results of those efforts are always of the Lord.

I read these great few sentences in Spurgeon's Morning and Evening this morning and I thought I would share as it addresses what I have learned and strengthens what I have learned:

The pilgrims dig the well, but, strange enough, it fills from the top instead of the bottom. We use the means, but the blessing does not spring from the means. We dig a well, but heaven fills it with rain. The horse is prepared against the day of battle, but safety is of the Lord. The means are connected with the end, but they do not of themselves produce it. See here the rain fills the pools, so that the wells become useful as reservoirs for the water; labour is not lost, but yet it does not supersede divine help.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is so true. needed to hear that today. thanks! praying daily for your process. rachel

June Berger said...

Awesome! It so clearly explains why we must continue "doing" but believing it is ultimately God and His ways.