Saturday, June 27, 2009

Adoption: Text Message

At about 7:30 last night, for some reason I took a look at my cell phone. I never get important text messages. About once a day I get messages from Digicel, one of the cell phone companies that we use here in Haiti. The messages will be reminders of when my minutes expire, special offers, etc... They are NEVER important.

For some reason, our orphanage director decided to send me a text message to my phone instead of calling me at 10:18 AM. That message said: "They are on their way to Port-au-Prince you can come down to the office i am in my office"

Seeing that at 7:30 PM was little frustrating to say the least. The amount of anger I had at that moment was probably off the scale. Internally, I was flipping out. Externally, I probably looked like I was thinking real hard (or at least I hope that's the way I looked - my veins in my head were probably protruding). Why would she send a text message to tell me something that important? Do people text message police officers when someone is breaking into their house or text message a fire fighter to say their house is burning down. Right now, we are feeling so worn out with this adoption process that it feels a little like our house is burning down. Good thing our house is built upon (or made of) the Rock - although we forget at times.

My phone rings a different ring when I get text messages and I was probably on the four-wheeler when the message came and didn't hear anything. I normally open the phone up to see if anyone called after doing something noisy (like being in the generator room). I only saw that I got a message - they were never important in the past and I decided to skip looking at this one until later.

Minutes Later...

Less than ten minutes pass by after I read the message and I got a phone call...it was the orphanage director. She explained to me that Lou's biological mother tried to come to the orphanage, but couldn't direct the driver to the right location. She didn't show up. She ended up going back to her home town.

We then tried to coordinate when and where we could get this done (this was not easy to coordinate! Thank you Mr. Kyrk for making the call to the driver and speaking in Creole!! My mind was in no condition to try to get the right Creole words out correctly.). The orphanage director has someone who can take her to the orphanage, but it won't be until Monday. The fact that she has this connection is great! I don't know if she has this type of connection all over the place, but it sure is nice for us to have now!

20/20

So in hindsight, it was probably less painful and stressful to have not gone to the orphanage office after receiving the text message only to be sitting and waiting for the birth mom to not show up (for who knows how long). We are indeed thankful for this.

We ask for your prayers to get the DNA testing done on Monday at 9AM without any issues. We are so ready to be done messing with all of this! What a journey...

5 comments:

marc costantino said...

Thinking of you on Monday and hoping all works out. I understand your frustration as we have been there. Hang in there!

June Berger said...

Praying that all goes without effort on Monday! Adoptions seem to only have one thing that is consistent, difficulties! Praying yours are behind you.

Anonymous said...

Man. It never seems to end. Almost like living in the movie, Ground Hog Day.

Here's hoping Monday goes smoothly!

Jan

Ken Schlorf said...

We thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers! Jan, one of these days we hope to wake up and do the day right so we can move on to the next... :-)

dorrfamily said...

Thinking and praying for all of you today and hoping that all goes well.

Kelly