Friday, November 7, 2008

School Disaster

This, this, and this is what I was doing all afternoon. (some of what is written in these news stories I cannot agree with in terms of who was helping and what was being done - my version of this stories will have to be for another time or in person).

I can't believe that we (Pastor Rob, Kyrk, Chris and myself as well as 3-4 other Haitian workers of the Mission) were on the front lines of the rescue efforts beginning around 3pm. At about 6pm we all rescued one little boy still alive (the "we" here is everyone helping - primarily, but not just, the BHM folks - Kyrk in particular). I saw lots of things that I have never seen before and I will need some time to process what I saw. Lots of dead people - most of them kids. I don't know what to say at this point so here are some pictures.

The rubble from the rubble (Chris is in the about center of the picture and Pastor Rob is in the black shirt in the bottom-center):


The people watching the event from the other side of the valley:


Here is Kyrk down by the child that we saved alive:


and as they were taking him out:



We did what we could to represent the hands and feet of Jesus this afternoon.

5 comments:

It's Gonna Be Me said...

Our prayers are with all of you!
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Ken:

You really captured the somber mood of this unfortunate Hatian disaster. Way to lend a hand to do what you could to help. Things like this always remind me of Luke 13:1-5. The rest of us who are safe and sound should not ask why God allowed this to happen, but rather ask why it didn't happen to us instead... Once again we are given another day to repent. My thoughts and prayers are with you and the Hatian parents who lost their children. May God eventually be glorified through this event.

Dave H.

Unknown said...

May the memories of what you saw turn to reminders of our rescue from certain death if it weren't for Jesus Christ!Thank you for saving even one!
Our love & prayers are with you all as you deal with yet another Haitin tragedy,
Doug & Evie

dorrfamily said...

I thought of you when I first heard about this. I pray that God will keep you safe and will comfort those families that are in need. I also pray that God helps you Ken in processing everything that you have seen. I cannot imagine how heartbreaking this has been. Your family continues to be in our prayers and thoughts not only today but everyday.
Kelly

June Berger said...

Ken, I am so sorry that you had to go through that and see so much devastation. But our Lord WILL use it to the good, some how, some way, some day, just hold on to that fact. I pray for all those who's lives were lost and for the families and friends left behind. Praying peace for all involved, the dead, injured, their families/friends, for the rescuers who had to witness such sadness and for the Haitians as a whole.