Saturday, November 22, 2008

Eye Doctor, Lou, Time, Christmas / Low Temperature

I took my first visit to the local eye doctor yesterday. I got a piece of weld stuck on my eyeball right on the pupil. It made everything blurry with that eye (mostly far distances). The doctor told me to put in ointment for two days and then drops for a day and then visit him Wednesday again. He thought that it was small enough and not deep enough where it would come out on its own. It didn't hurt much - it was just annoying. I have few options for goggles/glass to wear so I think I'll start wearing them. I already feel all spiffed up because I wear thicker pants and gloves to protect myself when all the other Haitian workers don't have any of that, but I suppose I'll start being smart and lead by example. The piece worked it's way out last night so now there is no issue - Praise God!

Lou

Lou has been a real challenge lately. His eating habits are difficult to figure out and difficult to determine what to do. He continues to chew sometimes and not chew others. We are trying to figure out if its defiance or ignorance because he sometimes leads us to believe that it could be either one. He had been becoming more of a child of his own. He seems to be displaying a spirit where while at the orphanage (and until now) it was suppressed so much that it didn't show. So it's all new to us. With the Lord's strength we'll get through it.

Time

Time is flying. In one week, it'll be 5 months since we have been here. When I think about us being in the States, it seems like much longer than 5 months, but the days just click off like miles to a jet plane.

Christmas Music

We have to start playing more Christmas music around here so it starts to feel like the right season. This will be my first Christmas without snow and/or freezing cold MN temperatures. Speaking of low temperatures - Yesterday morning we recorded our lowest temperature since being here: 59.0. That same day looked like the picture below - we could see the sun shining on Port-au-Prince and could see the cloud above us but it was cloudy all day for us.



Boring car stuff...

We finally got the oil line for the generator yesterday morning and I worked on that a bit yesterday. That line vibrates really hard and quick so if has anything rubbing on it, a hole will be created rather quickly. I put the line on the first time and turned on the generator. It was then that I noticed it rubbing so I loosened the connection and turn the line a little bit. Well, that broke the seal and I couldn't get it to seal again. I had to take it off which meant draining 4 gallons of coolant (after just filling it up) - it's a goofy design which means that I have to drain coolant to get to the oil line. I had to find my own thicker o-ring and remount after filling it up with coolant again. Then it finally worked. It took much longer than I thought it would take.

We have all the parts but one gear to put the Toyota transmission back in. I'll probably work on it quiet a bit next week. The truck with the transmission/clutch problem from Mountain Made ended up being taken away to go to someone else to has more time - they apparently need it faster. I was thinking that I didn't want to have two transmissions out at one time, but all it probably needed was just a clutch so it wouldn't have been that bad, but at any rate it is gone now.

I have to work on one motorcycle and one generator carb - they are both probably all gummed up.

I have a bunch of oil changes to do. I have been working on increasing the capabilities of the Access database the last few days and the oil change part is lacking the numbers of the filters to order.

That's about it for now - Carter and I are still waiting for our boxes to come through customs. They have been there since August - ridiculous!

No comments: