Monday, June 23, 2008

Luggage Fun

Based on a suggestion by one of the missionaries at the Mission, I called American Airlines to make sure that we were all set with the luggage situation. When I ordered the tickets in the middle of May, I asked about luggage and was told one thing. I called a couple weeks later, closer to when we were packing, and was told another thing (that we couldn't purchase any extra luggage or buy extra weight).

Well...the conversations yesterday were totally confusing. The first lady that I talked to told me that there were no restrictions on buying extra luggage and that I could buy whatever I wanted to. I asked her to verify that information because it was different than what I was told last time and so she tried but very confidently said, "There is only one page of information that I can look at and this is what it says." I thanked her and immediately called right back to get another person. This other person, John, also was very confident, but he told me something different. I could not buy extra luggage, yet I could pay for extra weight. BUT THE REAL KICKER WAS THAT I COULD NOT USE RUBBERMAID CONTAINERS!!


Somehow I managed to remain calm and evacuate my true feelings on either side of my brain as I discussed the fact that I have now received four different answers from four different people. Since it is 4:21 AM right now, I'll wait to call again until I am fully awake, but I will be calling at least two other times later today to figure out the rules. I am not very confident that I will be able to get one "correct answer" and I almost fully convinced that in the end it will be up to the agent checking in my luggage - which makes it all the more difficult. One thing I know for sure is that I do not want to go to the airport being concerned that I may have to re-pack all of our stuff right there in the airport and leave more things behind. So, after making a determination of how we should pack, we may have to make changes, which in the end may be a good thing because we could purchase more weight or baggage. I just can't tell you how sick I am of packing after doing it for a month!

I think this may be training ground for the experiences that we may have in Haiti. God does have, after all, a purpose for everything. Romans 8:28 "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

No comments: