Saturday, June 21, 2008

House

On Thursday, we presigned paperwork for the closing of our home. On Friday, the new owners signed their paperwork and the house situation was complete. Tina and I went to pick up the check. Thank you for your prayers in this matter! The buyers were the best we could have asked for and everything went as smoothly as possible - God deserves all the praise for this because it was a significant event! We have said that it was as if this was one hurdle that was removed for us in our journey. We put everything in the Lord's fully capable hands, trusting that He works all things for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28).

It's amazing how little money was left when we got the check. When I think about how long we have been there, we should have more money to show for it. We would have more money to show for it if we hadn't gotten caught up in the materialism of life in our earlier years (I'll take most of the responsibility here). Taking a home equity loan out for a vehicle and travel trailer/camper makes a significant dent. Credit card debt in our real early years are still the roots of that tree. To think of the money that was earned, spent, and virtually wasted on ourselves sure makes me think about what my money should be used for. We have been changed significantly in our handling of money since about 2 years ago. I cannot directly see what our tithes given to church have done, but I know it has been used for something better than a bottle of pop, a dinner at McDonalds, or car parts - all of which were done for myself (selfishnes, comfort, etc...) and none of which I can recall. I have more reflection to do on this. If the Lord calls us back to the States to live, I pray and know that I will do things differently than we did in our beginning. God is so gracious!

We have driven by the "old" house a couple times already. The first time it was strange to think that if we walked on the yard, we would be trespassing. The second time we saw one of the new owners carrying a baby with a little dog on our...on their front porch. Two vehicles were in the garage (I wonder if they'll paint over the flames on the wall...). We have some good memories of that house. It is now time to create some new memories that will, by the Lord's grace, reflect our treasure, an ever lasting treasure - knowing and trusting in Jesus.

No comments: