Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Clarification - Plan Update

I had dinner last night with a good, long-time friend of mine, Dave, who laid some things out striaght for me (Dave has a blog that focuses on remembering "that we are mortal and like all before us and after us, each of us will someday die.")

One of the topics of our conversation was when he asked me how honest he should be in his answer to my question of "Tell me what you think of what I am doing." On a scale of 1 - 10 with 10 being brutally honest, I did not hesitate to ask for the 10. After a lengthy discussion, one of the things that I learned from that part of our conversation was that what I was planning to do at the Baptist Haiti Mission was not all that clear. So the point of this post will be to clarify what I expect to be doing while serving as a missionary in Haiti...

Tina and I have known for quite some time that we have servant hearts - we like to help people and be behind the scenes (i.e., not on the front lines). Tina and I have both taken a couple of those personality/spiritual gifts tests that confirm that this is the way the Lord made us.

That being said, it is my expectation that Tina and I will be servants to the Lord through the Baptist Haiti Mission. At the mission, I plan to do whatever they need done. This includes things like fixing cars/trucks/doors/windows/locks/hospital equipment/generator/water systems/gardening/deliveries/construction... the list is virtually endless. We will take the opportunities to share our stories to those we are with by developing relationships with them first. By helping the mission do the work that they need done, we will be helping them to help the people of Haiti in the name of Jesus. These expectations of mine may not be exactly straight, but they will be very close.

Dave, thank you for your word fitly spoken.

I plan to write in the near future something more about how we were drawn to Haiti. Things like this are really hard for me to get in writing, but I'll do my best (with the help of my wife).

No comments: