Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Due to Popular Demand...Pictures

Here are the pictures of butchering. I wish I could think of more to write right now, but cannot so there won't be much "header" to scare you away from the pictures.

We cut it all up this morning after letting it hang over night. It was my first time and I followed Mr. Kyrk's instructions. It took all morning with the two of us cutting it up. Two Haitian guys were helping/watching and Mme. Kyrk was helping to wrap the meat. We'll freeze the chops and bring it to the market (they'll cut it for us for free). The rest we'll be eating the upcoming weeks. We'll be doing another pig or the cow in a few weeks.

OK maybe I did think of enough to write, but it will depend on your resolution whether or not the pictures show up by surprise. Here are the pictures. No detail spared (well, maybe a little because these won't be high resolution).

They shot it in the head first and then removed the head (which is when the body stopped twitching):


Then they poured boiling water over the fur/hair and skin. This made it stand up more and then the dark colored skin and fur/hair came right off when they scraped it with a knife.


They kept it clean by putting it on top of banana leaves.


Then they gutted it.


Hung it up to dry.


And then we started to cut it apart.


Here is the tongue and beginning of the throat. The tongue was more than 12 inches long.


I was surprised how small the brains were. Here is a picture of half of them after we cut the head in quarters (the hospital will use/cook all parts for food). Notice the roof of the mouth and half of the teeth in the lower left of the picture. There are so many interesting parts. We even found the bullet.


And that's the end of it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ken:

Yikes! Enough to turn me into a vegetarian... no, not really. The tongue photo surprised me... I wasn't ready for that one. Good information for me to know when I appear on Jeopardy! someday.
Hope things are well with you and you, Tina and the kids (the tail must come from your side of the family). ;-) A few million more years of evolution, and it will hardly be noticable (cough, cough).

Dave

Ken Schlorf said...

Dave, I knew nothing could turn you into a vegetarian. I have another shot of the nasal cavity, but didn't post it. Things are good - yet, not without challenges.

Careful, Dave - my family reads this blog and they live close to you... :-)

I've always loved the statement challenging evolution that goes something like this: "An explosion happened in a printing press and when they cleaned it up, they found a perfect unabridged dictionary as a result of the explosion." Keep coughing right?

Ken

Anonymous said...

Ken,

Your Mom called me this afternoon and told me to take another look at your blog. These pictures do not bother me, since my family has been butchering our own meat forever. We use to do 2 -3 beef, and 4 -5 hogs over Thanksgiving. Our kids loved it. However, your spider pictures are another story :)

Sharon D.

Chris said...

Ok - that post needed more of a warning - yikes! What an education you are getting there huh? I'm guessing that was the piggy we met when we visited?

Hope all is well for you guys!
Take care,
Chris

T and T Livesay said...

oh my gosh. this is just downright nasty!!!

-tara