Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Boring Car Stuff..., go-kart

Careful...this is boring. Read after your cup of coffee (or perhaps two).

Yesterday was pretty busy especially in the morning. I replaced two tires on two different vehicles (thanks to an older-style tire changing machine that the Lord gave me wisdom to figure out). I did a few other things including trying (unsuccessfully) to fix one clothes iron and checked out another iron.

The two pathfinders that we have a really getting near the end of their useful life. The white one we have needed to be rewelded (again) on the passenger-side front lower control arm, so I did that in the morning, too. It broke at the frame and was cracked when checked it yesterday. It didn't break as far as it did the last time because I added extra support the last time I fixed it. So hopefully we'll get another few months use out of it. That truck also needs new steering linkage because one of the non-replaceable ball joints is bad and about to break (we'll have to replace the whole arm). The tan pathfinder (as well as the white) needs new CV axles in the front (both left and right).

Today I have to replace a seal in the rear differential/axle of our big steakbed as well as take the radiator and intercooler out again (I just had the radiator out a couple months ago to repair a hole). The radiator is leaking near the lower hose mount and I can't take that out without taking the intercooler out.

Go-kart

Carter was helping me all morning with grabbing tools, jacking up the vehicles, and various other tasks. We spent about an hour working on a go-kart just after lunch. We are going to use the motor that was in the old welder/generator that burned up. This will be a large project and will take some time to complete, but it'll be a great learning experience for Carter (and for me).

No comments: